Saturday, January 28, 2012

Zzzzzzzz....

I can't stay awake today.... I am so sleeeeeeeeeepy....... dissertations to mark (they're not boring, in case you're wondering if they have their own special soporific qualities). They seem to be stretching endlessly into the future at the moment. Until March??? O.M.G.

Ok, so not really endless as there is always an end, but it's still a wearisome thought today for a sleepy person.

I've had a nap, some coffee and some fresh air. They haven't worked. There is a strange smell of potatoes in my living room which is quite distracting. Where's it coming from?? It can't be the man in the flat below having a baked-potato barbeque in this weather, though he might be.... he is prone to solitary, badly executed barbeque experiences on his balcony, you know. Or maybe not, as there's no smoke billowing into the sky in stinky grey clouds.

I thought a student's brain had been replaced by Google last week, as he typed every question I asked him into it, instead of thinking about the questions and drawing on his own little grey cells* before answering, like people used to in the old days before laptops and WiFi and the internet. It wasn't a quiz with facts for answers, you know, I was just trying to find out what he was interested in. Maybe people can't be bothered to have thoughts anymore, but luckily the internet steps in to fill that intellectual gap. I was slightly disturbed by the incident, but he's been fine since. Phew. Maybe he was having an off day.

Well, writing this drivel has woken me up a bit. I think I'll have my tea now and get on with the dissertations later. Sounds like a good plan to me, if I say so myself.

* Yes, it's a Poirot reference.

No comments: