Wednesday, January 03, 2007

A Very Grey Day


What's worse than going back to work, first day back after the Christmas break, surrounded by all the other gloomy-faced commuters on a wet, grey January morning?

First day back, after being off on a Sabbatical for a year... getting to the office and not being able to get in, because all the door codes were activated by Security during the holiday closure.... and no-one remembered to tell you what the 5 different codes were, before you staggered up the stairs with heavy bags... finally get into the 'office' to find no phone, and computer kit still waiting to be set up....

Well, actually, it's just a bit worse...
I wasn't expected back until NEXT WEEK.

Someone kindly decided, in my absence, that I might as well come back a week later when everyone else was back. That's really nice, but no-one told me... I'd already put That Wednesday into my diary as the Back-To-Work date. Great... I could have slept a bit longer and then done something useful, like finishing the course material for next Monday.

Cheers, my dears... same time, next week then!

Still, nice to see no-one's nicked my printer again and the departmental dead rats have all gone...

We found a dead rat in our back garden once, when I lived in Zambia. It was the size of a cat. The ones at work are puny London rats, much smaller. I doubt either the Zambian rat or the London rats would have taken a cat hostage though, like in the wrinkly old vintage (but very good) King Kurt t-shirt design... I don't think it's in a rat's nature. But 50p to get into a gig seems unbelievably cheap compared to today, and often with a free haircut thrown in too, for the reckless punter... and on a very un-reckless note, I'd better go to sleep now, as I got up far too early for my liking today.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

welcome back :)